Mumbai: The Maharashtra State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission has directed Nanavati Hospital and haematologist Dr Mukesh Desai to pay a compensation of Rs 11.5 lakh to the father of a child who had developed gangrene in the arm due to an ill-administered intravenous line. The Commission held the doctor and the hospital guilty of being negligent.
The complaint was filed by the child’s father, Ashok Pujari, in 2002. The father said the child with high fever was admitted to the hospital on July 15, 2000. On July 22, finding no improvement in her condition, the doctor in charge referred her to Dr Desai for further investigation after which blood cancer was detected and chemotherapy recommended, reports ToI.
Pujari alleged that the faulty IV caused the medicines to collect in the elbow of the then two-year-old child. This, he said, caused her tremendous pain and a big black spot developed on the elbow. The father said the child had to remain in hospital for three months as the bone in the elbow was infected. Adding that the child suffered permanent deformity and had to undergo physiotherapy.
|More from Medico-Legal|