Press "Enter" to skip to content

Maharashtra Medical Council pulls up doctors for violating rules

Mumbai: The Maharashtra Medical Council (MMC), as a measure of inculcating discipline, has suspended licenses of 10 doctors for violation of rules governing pre-natal sex determination. In the same exercise, it has also served notices to 21 doctors for violating the Medical Council of India’s (MCI) code on self-advertisement.

Confirming the action, Dr Kishor Taori, chairman, Maharashtra Medical Council, told India Medical Times, “Yes, we have taken this action as a step to keep a tab on such doctors who take the rules lightly. We have cancelled licences of 10 doctors for violation of rules governing pre-natal sex determination. Eight others were spared with warnings due to lack of documents for flouting the same rules.”

“We have also issued notices to 21 doctors for violating Section 6.1 of the MCI’s code of medical ethics. The section clearly says that a doctor cannot advertise for himself or herself alone or with other doctors. Doctors breaching the regulations can invite punishment ranging from a warning letter to cancellation of their registration,” he said.

The doctors, whose licenses have been revoked for six months are from Mumbai (1), Thane (2), Nanded, Chandrapur, Aurangabad, Ahmednagar and Buldhana. Also, at least four doctors from Mumbai and Navi Mumbai received warning letters for minor violations under the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques (Prohibition of Sex Selection) Act (PCPNDT). The erring doctors cannot practise till the inquiry against them is complete.

Dr Mahesh Shah (cardiologist, Andheri), Dr Parag Telang (cosmetic surgeon, Andheri), Dr Shaila Shenoy (dermatologist, Andheri) and Dr Makrand Masrani (gynaecologist, Andheri) are some of the doctors who received notice with regard to violating code on self-advertisement.

Dr Taori further said, “Majority of doctors in the state are good. I can say almost 99 per cent of doctors are following the rules. The rest 1 per cent are tarnishing the image of medical profession. So, we had to take stringent steps so that our image could remain intact. For future measures, we have decided to rope in the various association like Indian Medical Association (IMA), Indian Radiological and Imaging Association (IRIA), Federation of Obstetrics and Gynaecological Societies of India (FOGSI) and all other important stakeholders to sensitise the doctors for strict following of ethical norms. It would promote better doctor-patient relationship and boost our image.”

by Vidhi Rathee

One Comment

  1. Dr Vaibhav Sonune Dr Vaibhav Sonune Thursday, March 27, 2014

    i strongly oppose the statement said by Dr taori that almost 99% follow the rules. its opposite of that as most of the doctors even dont know medical ethics— can u think they will follow

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *